Sunday 29 March 2009

I think I may be a Victim

Alternative Title: ZOMG - Have you seen this?!?!?

Well now... I think, I'm not sure but I think there is a small chance that I might have been in some way, possibly a little bit, maybe, the victim of workplace discrimination...

A couple of weeks ago when we were told we were going to have to drop down to a four day week, I assumed that that meant that I was allowed to work a 4 day week, you know, like they said... not that I would be expected to come in for 5 days and still take the totally bend me over and ruthlessly bugger me in my sore and weeping financial arsehole paycut... apparently I was mistaken...

The first week of this genius plan to stop the hell mouth folding in on itself I took a day off... I felt weird about it because I knew I wasn't getting paid, so I looked for alternative employment so at least I felt like I was doing something productive... well we all know how that turned out... (not well...for all involved)...

That offer of a job interview obviously meant that I needed to take the day off work, so I took it as holiday (perfectly legitimate) and the following day, having exhausted myself by walking about in silly foot wear and breaking my spine / causing internal organ failure, I found myself in far too much pain to move, let alone sit in a Morris Minor with shakey suspension for 45 minutes to get to work, so I call in sick (also perfectly legitimate)...

Although when I go to take my day off last week as part of my 4 day week, 'let's try to soften the blow for our workers by letting them have another day off,' my boss makes some snippy comment as he is walking out of the door that he is 'surprised' that I'm taking this day off as I had so much time off the week before.... to which, slightly stunned, I replied 'yeah, one of those days was holiday and the other was sick...' he just said, 'I'm just surprised that's all' and buggers off....

Then it starts to sink in... apparently not only am I supposed to suck up a crippling pay cut, I'm also not allowed to take sick leave or holiday... brilliant... this makes me angry for the rest of the day but I let it go...

On Friday, Cathryn reveals to me that said boss has continued to slate my behaviour and the behaviour and reactions of other people in the company who have actually had the audacity to take that extra day off that we were offered and have not been coming to work for free... this angers me so much that I go in to my bosses' office, kick out the other manager and ask to have 'a word' with the offending boss....

What transpires is a calm and rational conversation where he states that he had expected more loyalty from the staff ... when I point out that it has nothing to do with loyalty, simply that my work load is significantly lower than it has been in the past due to total lack of work coming in and that I cannot take work from other members of staff as I do not know how to do their work and they do not have time to teach me... he suggests that I should spend my time away from my desk (an offense which usually leads to a berrating for not being on hand to answer the phone) doing pointless and meaningless tasks like 'sorting out the files' in the over stuffed filing room... when I point out that he cannot tell us we can have a 4 day week and then get shitty when we take it, the argument becomes entirely circular...

I could cope with this, just about... however here comes the good bit... he was so slippery about it that I didn't even realise it had happened until after I had left the meeting... in fact I'm still not entirely sure about it... he referred to 'my problem' (his words, not mine... he means the fact that I am a brain cripple) and that the company as a whole had been very supportive of 'my problem' and the fact that I took a day off sick here and there... he even conceded that other people have had more time off than I have through sickness ... but then he said I had to look at the morality of the situation... I left feeling that it had been implied that because I have epilepsy I should be 'morally obligated' to work the 5th day for free... I'm not sure whether I have been bullied and discriminated against or whether I'm just pissed off... I am pissed off, I'm just not sure about the rest of it... nevertheless, I am working 5 days this week...

On a brighter note though, this...


My life would be so very much better if I worked as the Gruffalo's personal secretary...

4 comments:

The Jolly Blogger said...

On the fifth day simply do nothing. That's right nothing, sweet F.A., naddy, not a thing nothing. Download a good electric copy of a book and read it. Take long relaxed lunch breaks basically take the piss. Your boss is clearly a dick and you should amuse yourself by sabataging work as much as possible. Spit in the bosses coffee, pilfer stationary, join a union (bosses hate unions as they can make their life difficult) or start spreading false rumours about him. I've had shit bosses in the past and have done the most shit, half-arsed job I can get away with whilst learning to slack off whenever possible. Get a copy of "sabotage in the american workplace" which was compiled by Martin Sprouse (I have a copy if you'd like to borrow it). Remember don't get mad get even!

The Jolly Blogger said...

I also should add that I do have a job which is awesome and therefore do not behave in the same way. A good boss and work practices = happy and more productive employees.

The Pixie said...

Aw thanks Sam!

My plan is to get on my hands and knees and scrub the rancid toilets with the doors wedged open so that the entire company and all the customers can see what he has his office staff doing when there is not enough work on for them to do...

It may be disgusting... but at least I'll make a point... and if that doesn't work, I sue his Nazi ass and bring the company to its knees...

muhahahahaha!!!!

The Jolly Blogger said...

NOOOOOO! Don't do that it WON'T have the desired effect he'll just come up with something like "oh so you have decided to make yourself useful" or some shit like that. Time equals money to the company so waste their's by making extra time for you. If you get a vomiting bug go in anyway and spread the germs around to get more peopl off sick. Biological warfare!