Monday 26 January 2009

Shenanigans...oh yes, you heard me right!

Alternative title: Go Pixie it's your birthday...

So long weekend down in the depths of Devon with my bestest friend in the whole wide world was lovely... poker was played, brilliant new people were met, wine was consumed, plentiful nicotine was inhaled...2 year old god son was entertained whilst hungover (note to self: don't do that again)

Work was shit... but then I have come to expect that...my particular favourite work related episode this week was the arrival of a 'motivational' poster brought in by my middle management, pop psychology, never read an actual psych book in his life, dumbass boss... I can't find a picture of it on the intermanetz but I shall describe it for your delight and delectation... it is a picture of a ripple in some water with the 'motivational' text "Irresponsibility: No single rain drop believes it is to blame for the flood.".... see, told you he was a dumbass... he can't quite seem to grasp how this passive aggressive gesture is not likely to rouse the troops rather it simply serves to make us all a bit narky ... dumbass!

Then this weekend twas ma birfday...I did indeed get older but as anticipated getting older was jollied up by the attendance of some damn fine people, plenty of music and movie critiquing and some bloody good role playing.

Pub was visited, white russians were consumed by the trough, plentiful nicotine was inhaled and good times were had by all... and then Bob got drunk... and I had to deal with him...and then had to deal with him again in the morning (my actual birthday no less) by doing all the washing up from the night before so I could cook him greasy bacon and egg hangover sandwiches having had precisely no sleep, a text message from my evil Grandmother who I haven't given my phone number to in over 10 years (how she got it is a mystery) a long and sobbing phone call from my Dad, wishing me happy birthday and telling me that his girlfriend (the only thing stopping him from topping himself whilst going through his second messy divorce) has left him and then another text message from my gay ex boyfriend...all the while our favourite Ginger, Fuzz was witnessing this terrifying glimpse into my emotionally fraught life from the comfort of my living room floor as I collapse in a mess having spoken to all the people in my life who have the ability to cause me any amount of emotional trauma in the space of about an hour on my fucking birthday.... gaaaaaaaaaah!!!!

However... we then ended up in Brizzle playing a most excellent roleplay game designed by my very favourite Egyptian Muslim, Bas - who had taken the concept of an anal retentive attention to detail to new heights by drawing character pictures for us all and laminating hundreds of cards, each one different from the last (all designed by him) to replace any need for the rolling of dice... this was a combat intensive game and frankly we were all fucking brilliant!...we were heroes...apart from when one of us destroyed Paris, went evil and tried to kill another player character (note he destroyed Paris BEFORE he technically 'went evil') ...we fought dinosaur men.... I flew a fire breathing dragon... Steve Rogers was the president of the USA, Dracula was the premier of Russia and Joan of Arc was the premier of France.... absolute fucking genius! I loved every minute of it.... also the character pictures were beautiful - Bas, my love, if you ever find your way to reading this page, thank you so very much for such an awesome birthday present!

We then went to a party in the evening but I don't really remember much of it... I think I may have fallen asleep in the car on the way there and not really woken up again yet... very very tired.....

zzzzzzzzz

1 comments:

Will Foxton said...

I think the poster is trying to encourage you not to sink into the depths of what Military theorists call "collective action problem".

Apparently, it's what cost the USA Vietnam. So, pay attention or a horde of freedom loving orientals in black pyjamas will attack the
7th circle of Hell and wildly shoot things with AKs.

What's the 7th circle of hell? You know, the bit of hell full of Morris Minors. It's in Dante. Honest. Near the Back.