Tuesday 30 December 2008

The Legitimate Christmas Movie

Alternative Title: Slack? Perhaps... On Holiday?.. Most definitely!

A very belated Yule to you all ...and a pre-emptive Happy New Year! I hope that 2009 brings you all the lovely cosmic chaos you could possibly wish for and we all come out the other end wiser and stronger for the experience.

I am on sabatical from the hell hole at the moment so the desire to do anything other than mong infront of the telly and consume enormous amounts of food and booze has withered and died as is the way with any good festive season... so I apologise for not having updated for an age, I know how you all clammer round your glowing screens waiting for the oracle to impart some fresh words of wisdom in to your otherwise directionless lives... but sadly my lovelies, the oracle is too smashed to co-operate...

So as a consolation prize you get to have me talk about something I like for a change... something I really really love...

The Christmas Movie!

*pauses for gasps of shock and awe*

"But No!" I hear you cry "How could one so cynical be such a big sucker for the schmoltz of the Christmas Movie?"... fear not my intrepid brethren... I am still the same cynical, jaded, slightly squiffy biatch you all know and love... for it is not the 'Traditional' Christmas Movie of which I speak...

Sure, I enjoy a good 'A Christmas Carol' or 'It's a Wonderful Life' as much as the next girl when I'm all caught up in the winter wonderland of festivities ... however the movies I am talking about have caused people who do not know me well to raise an eyebrow or indeed just plain laugh when I try to champion them as legitimate Christmas movies... this year it was brought home to me just how important it is to me that they are recongnised as legitimate Christmas movies and therefore to be watched with the family over Christmas lunch....

Christmas Eve generally sees the Curly One and I adopting our usual place upon the sofa to watch our traditional Christmas Eve Movie, Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas"... this year however, this did not happen... the man was not up for it and frankly, if it wasn't to be a traditional watching then it just wasn't going to happen... apparently the traditions that we have developed over the last few years are important to me... who knew I was such a traditionalist?!?!...so slightly dis-spirited I searched for alternative viewing pleasures...

Then it hit me... what are the two best Christmas Movies ever made ever?

Die Hard and Lethal Weapon... of course... Christmas was now complete!

Ridiculous amounts of delicious food - check.
Eyesight slightly damaged by alcohol intake - check.
Presents played with and strewn about the floor - check.
Best Festive movies ever - check!

I ask you my friends, to aid me in championing these two Titans of the Christmas movie as they fight for legitimacy - bollocks to the Queen's speech - let's watch Bruce and Mel doing their thing over lunch with Granny - you know she'd secretly love it....

Yipee Kai Ey Mother Fucker!

And I am most definitely not too old for this shit!

4 comments:

Ben said...

NOW I HAVE A
MACHINE GUN
HO
HO
HO

Marianne said...

I think most of the boys who read this have just fell in love with you. That is if they weren't already.

Me? Well...I'm besotted with you anyway, so this post just makes me think you and I need to go for a drink together in the new year.

The Pixie said...

Ooooh!... Drinkies... yes very much with the drinkies!

Matt said...

'Die Hard' is my joint favourite Christmas movie. The other is 'The Muppet Christmas Carol'.